Monday, 2 November 2009

CONCERNED ABOUT GREENBELT?

Hello again folks! Sally Richardson [God bless her] has sent me this interesting piece on the 'Christian' phenomenon that is 'Greenbelt'. As with all things; it should be read, digested and dealt with as you will. Speaking for myself; I was never really into the whole 'Greenbelt' thing - so I've always had an open mind on this festival .... until [maybe] now:
"... For many years I have been concerned about Greenbelt. What supposedly started as a Christian Music Festival in 1974 soon had problems. The only time I went to Greenbelt was in 1989, when I was asked to work for one of the Christian music publishers at the Festival. A number of things concerned me there, especially the amount of alcohol being consumed, and I believe I was not wrong in believing that drugs were circulating around the site. Over the years since I was there in 1989, it has got further away from any semblance of Christianity. An examination of the speakers and their subjects from this year should clearly show that this is no longer a Christian event in any way. Speakers included Gene Robinson, the gay priest who claims to be able to justify the practice of homosexuality from a Biblical viewpoint - he can't be using the same Bible I read. There were several Muslim and Hindu speakers, as well as a host of speakers standing up for the Palestinians and denouncing Israel. If you can bear to read it, take a look at the link below and just read through the list of speakers and the description of their subjects from 2009:

http://www.greenbelt.org.uk/shop/talks/years/2009

Though this festival has lost a lot of its influence, and the free Creation Fest run by Calvary Chapel is now having a greater and better influence among the young, Greenbelt still has influence among many Churches in this country. It has, in the past, nearly come to an end, but has just managed to find enough funds to continue. It is time that the 35 year history of Greenbelt comes to an end. The next Greenbelt festival is planned to take place between 27th and 30th August 2010 at ... Cheltenham Racecourse. I think it would be a good thing to pray that this will be cancelled. It is though, a sign of the end times that heresies will increase. I find this information highly unpleasant, and it grieves me greatly to see such things coming from a so-called "Christian" event. I don't mind you forwarding this email, but please consider prayerfully if you should forward it, and if so, to whom. If I find this upsetting to read, then I think, for some, it may be too much. Please pray. Many Blessings in Christ Jesus.

Martin Emerson
Light In The Darkness
44 Newland Park Drive
Hull Road
York
YO10 3HP
ENGLAND
[end quote]
I do not think that it is a bad thing to re-evaluate 'stuff' from time to time. Even 'Christian' staples like 'Greenbelt' or [so-called] 'Christian' personalities et al. Take nothing for granted; my friends. And always be Bereans. Watchmen must warn; evangelists must compel; DO NOT BE DECEIVED! and watch that periphery!
God bless you and God bless Israel ... Keith JS ... 02-Nov-2009

No comments: