- Since we joined the EEC in 1973, we have been in surplus with every continent in the world except Europe. Over those 27 years, we have run a trade deficit with the other member states that averages out at £30 million per day.
- In 2010 our gross contribution to the EU budget will be £14 billion. To put this figure in context, all the reductions announced by George Osborne at the Conservative Party Conference would, collectively, save £7 billion a year across the whole of government spending.
- On the European Commission’s own figures, the annual costs of EU regulation outweigh the advantages of the single market by €600 to €180 billion.
- The Common Agricultural Policy costs every family £1200 a year in higher food bills.
- Outside the Common Fisheries Policy, Britain could reassert control over its waters out to 200 miles or the median line, which would take in around 65 per cent of North Sea stocks.
- Successive British governments have refused to say what proportion of domestic laws come from Brussels, but a thorough analysis by the German Federal Justice Ministry showed that 84 per cent of the legislation in that country came from the EU.
- Outside the EU, Britain would be free to negotiate much more liberal trade agreements with third countries than is possible under the Common External Tariff.
- The countries with the highest GDP per capita in Europe are Norway and Switzerland. Both export more, proportionately, to the EU, than Britain does.
- Outside the EU, Britain could be a deregulated, competitive, offshore haven.
- Oh, and we’d be a democracy again." [end quote]
There are, of course, a multiplicity of other reasons for us to go it alone; some financial; some political; some biblical; some prophetic; some moral et al. I'm all for folks checking these facts out for themselves instead of just accepting the status quo and voting in the [supposed] "main" parties in and out every four or five years - that's all. Be evangelists [as applicable]; Be Bereans; DO NOT BE DECEIVED! and watch that periphery!
God bless you and God bless Israel ... Keith JS ... 22-Dec-2009